Friday, May 10, 2019

Weighty Thoughts


Day Five of Fit in 42

Wednesday I came up with a list of goals, which, even before I posted, I realized were incomplete. Still, you gotta start somewhere, amIright?

My successes so far have been mixed:
+ I have made some more healthful choices regarding foods. (I passed on the fries. Once. Trust me, this is an accomplishment.)
- I haven’t fully implemented my Master Meal Planning Plan. (I can never remember, is it “Keep It Simple, Stupid” or “How Freakin’ Complicated Can I Possibly Make This?”)
++ I have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of support! I’m not in this leaky canoe all by myself, and that helps. Hearing about how others have repaired their leaks gives me hope that I can do the same. And I hope I can give others … um, hope.

In other news, there was this: 

I carried 32 kg! I couldn’t actually lift it into place for the goblet carry by myself (my “bell boy” :) had to do that for me), and I carried it only about 30 yards (3 times), but hey, I did it! And that’s something to celebrate.

I don’t know when I am going to need to carry 70.5 lbs for 30 yards, but by golly I know I can do it.

And that’s the point.

When I saw this on my program I thought it was a typo. Lemme tell you, there’s a BIG difference between 24 kg and 32 kg (like, 17 lbs!), and 24 kg was challenging. The first time I tried, I hoisted that 32 kg kettlebell to my waist … and no further. I thought “Well, that’s that. Uh-uh. Ain’t gonna happen.”

But as soon as I put it down, I got a little mad.

I wasn’t going to let that weight get the better of me. After all, I had lifted it part way up.

With Adam’s help, I got the kettlebell in place, and started walking.

It wasn’t pretty. It wasn’t easy. (It could have gone horribly wrong at any time, so please use discretion.)

But I did it. Next time I’ll do even better.

Finding out you can do what you didn’t think you could? Wow. What an amazing feeling. I think one of the biggest benefits of lifting weights (and I'm biased towards Grit Gym) is the incredible amount of confidence it gives you.

And that confidence leaks out of the gym and into every facet of your life. If I can carry 32 freakin' kilograms, I can finish Book 2. I can change my eating habits. I can say no to french fries (some of the time).

I can.

(The video is on my facebook page, and at https://www.facebook.com/gritgym/)

No comments:

Post a Comment